The 2004 installation of the #822...|
Note: This is the first "re-installation" of the opus 822 in my house. Since this was posted 4 years ago I am now in the process of expanding the organ from 5 ranks to 22 ranks, so keep up to date with those changes if you like on the "blog" page. I'm leaving this page as a historical reference.
The entire organ remained at the church until early 2004. In the fall of 2003 the main console of #822 was severed from the pipes after my brother-in-law Bryan Hendrix spent a full day carefully labeling each of the over 600 wires between the pipes and the console so that the organ could be rewired in the future.
Had this labeling not been done, I doubt this organ would have ever played again.
In June of 2004 we learned how important this labeling of the wires was. The organ is a "UNIT" organ, meaning that the 5 ranks of pipes are used in different scales for each of the stops. Thus this "5" rank organ has over 30 stops/sounds produced from the same 5 ranks of pipes. The wiring from each pipe thus goes to each stop tab action in various combinations. And without a wiring diagram available to us, we would have spent months just trying to figure out the wiring. However because Brian had carefully labeled each wire before making the cuts, it was a simple process of just snapping the wires back together using the "snap tracks" as shown in the photographs.
Rewiring with labels took Tim one day for each rank of pipes with labels. Without the efforts of Bryan Hendrix, the organ would very likely have remained in storage and never to play again.
In 2004 Timothy Neal began the process of removing the pipes, airchest, blowers and console from Borchers to my home. During most of March Timothy Neal and Diane Otte carefully cleaned and serviced every pipe removing 50 years of accumulated grime and dirt that had severely discolored most of the pipes. All wood work and bellows were extensively cleaned in a fashion that preserved the original parts of this organ.
The organ was set up in the loft area of my home which enables the tallest of the pipes to still have ample "breathing" room. At this time we decided to set the organ up exactly as how it was set up in the church loft, with no modification, other than the pipe chest being open and not enclosed in a "swell" box.
As of March 2004 Tim was able to wire the Salicional rank of pipes up and make the organ playable. In late May and very early June of 2004 the remaining ranks were wired up, and now the organ is once again playable as demonstrated by this video clip of myself playing Nearer My God to Thee:
If you cannot play the QuickTime movies above, you may need to install the QuickTime Plug In.
To get a free version of Quicktime visit Apple.com's Quicktime
If you have already installed QuickTime Player on your computer, and think you have the Plug In, check the folder for your browser application. Inside this folder will be a folder called "Plugins". If you do not see a QuickTime Plugin in this folder, but you do have QuickTime on your computer, you will need to go to the Quicktime application folder, make a copy of the Plugin that is there and put it in the browser application plugins folder.
Be careful during installation of the Quicktime Plug-In that you DO NOT set it to be your DEFAULT audio or media player.
This way Quicktime will play the .mov files posted above and will not mess with your other computer settings.
In June of 2005 Reuter Organ Company mitered the two bourdon pipes that were not fitting beneath the support beam of the house.
The device feeding air into the Bourdon rank is the "Lieblich Gedeckt" regulator which lowers the air pressure to the Bourdon pipes for a softer sound when applied.